June 25, 2010

Mexican Fiesta

My friend Courtney's recent visit was a great excuse to throw a Mexican dinner party and an easy solution to celebrating her new lifestyle: vegetarianism. I was so happy to finally have a reason to bust out my mismatched set of fiesta ware that I inherited from my grandma. Instant tables-scape (I hate to use a word coined by Sandra Lee, but is there an alternative?)! All of the elements were easy to prep ahead, and who doesn't like a taco bar, but I want to brag about a few especially impressive dishes. 1. Inspired by Rick Bayless, I made a jalapeno ginger Mexican Mojito. When isn't tequila better than rum? Special thanks to my stylish friend Chloe for helping me squeeze all of those limes! 2. Using a $9 bag of heirloom tomatoes, I made an especially delicious salsa. Worth it! And...drumroll please...3. I made cheese! This is a first for me, couldn't have been simpler and it's an excellent bragging right so try the recipe. Plus, fresh Mexican cheese isn't readily found everywhere (I'm not talking about here in LA but when traveling to lakes and what not) and this is a really easy solution. All in all, a very festive reunion!
The Menu

sizzling mexican ginger mojitos

heirloom tomato salsa - herby guacamole
tortilla, cucumber and radish chips

family style

grilled chipotle ceaser salad

chili relleno souffle

grilled corn on the cob with chili and lime

taco bar

drunken spicy black and pinto beans

roasted summer squash with oregano, caramelized red onion

fingerling potatoes with roasted anaheim peppers

fresh cheese

fresh mint tomatillo salsa - roasted tomato salsa - roasted tomatillo salsa

blue and corn tortillas

cinnamon flans


1 comment:

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

I want more pictures of you entertaining!
When we visit, we will have Mark take some for you.

Post a Comment