August 25, 2010

Lake to Table II

I'm a real geek for activities: amusement parks, board games, the zoo, mini golf, progressive dinners, state fairs (my favorite!) etc. I drag Greg along for outings that would be more appropriate if we had children; we don't. I fantasize about more activity geared entertaining (e.g. gin and tonics after doubles tennis, hard cider and chili after pumpkin hunting and hay rides, and chicken parmesan for a Sopranos marathon). Again, Greg gets conned into many of these themed activity-meet-meal events but I'd like to expand this passion to include others (though I've learned not every one loves a trivia evening). Fishing is an activity plus meal outing that I am very much loving this summer and you get two parties in one: a picnic on the lake one night and then a trout feast the next.
The Menu

grilled rainbow trout with parsley and lemon
sauteed spinach and carrot tops
fried green tomatoes

coors light (it's a campbell thing)

4 comments:

MA said...

Alright, I can get past the Coors light if you tell me about the carrot tops in with the spinach? Just the lacy tops? I was hoping, too, you might share the recipe for the roasted shrimp cocktail? Gorgeous pics.

Erin (Blue Egg Kitchen) said...

Such vivid photos make for a great photo essay; feels like I was there with you. How do you do your fried green tomatoes? And are those dainty purple blossoms garlic buds? Beautiful post!

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

Mark and I are trying out the recipe you featured from Erin last week. Swiss chard cakes with smoked trout.So far, so good. If it doesn't turn out to be too embarrassing I will do a post.

Annie Campbell said...

MA, Thanks for reading my blog!! As for the carrot tops, I did use the lacy tops, roughly chopped, pulling any thick stems. I sauteed them in olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes, and then added the spinach. Finish it off with lots of chopped herbs. It was actually my first time cooking them and I really loved the flavor, though my mom found them to be much too bitter. Roasting the shrimp cocktail is really delicious. I coat the shrimp (the bigger the better) with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Then I roast them at 400 for about 10 minutes, until slightly pink and cooked through. For my cocktail sauce I like a mixture of equal parts chili sauce and ketchup with generous douses of horseradish, lemon, worcestershire and hot sauce, all to taste. I wish I were the gardener you are; I aspire to be...

Post a Comment